PURPOSE OF THE UNIT STANDARD
Understand the objectives and statutory requirements pertaining to health and safety in the workplace.
Explain the rights, powers, functions and duties of the workplace health and safety representative and how any errant health, safety and environmental issues may be handled.
Participate in the safety, health and environmental structures and measure these activities according to health, safety and environmental requirements.
The qualifying learner will:
- Describe the framework of workplace health and safety legislation pertaining to health and safety representatives
- Explain the specified requirements to conduct safety, health and environmental representation activities at a working place
- Address safety, health and environment related issues within the scope of authority.
- Comply with the activities within safety, health and environmental structures.
- Explain the relevant legal requirements to conduct Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) inspections
- Plan Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) inspections.
- Conduct inspections to identify non-compliance in the workplace.
- Report on Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) inspections
People who are eligible to be appointed as Safety, Health and Environmental Representatives